Friday, January 25, 2008

A man wrote that?!

Forget Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten".

I'm rewriting his book and I will entitle it "All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Memoirs of a Geisha".

What a phenomenal read--I am still just so excited about this book. There were so many blatantly obvious truths within it, although to begin with I never knew I could identify with a geisha. It's not to say that I find myself similar to Sayuri, the main character--really, we're quite different. But, in her maturing she learned many of the truths that I have learned. I guess, she learns what we all learn by growing up.

I thought this book would be more about the intriguing world of the geisha in the early 20th century. What I didn't know was that I would be reading a coming-of-age novel, that would strike me as so honest and real.

I have read some good books lately, but I think this was the most memorable and touching. I hope I haven't spoken so well of it that it would disappoint other readers, but I think that it's the overwhelming messages that struck me to be so rich.

No comments: