Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Little Geisha

As my previous post suggests, I have been thinking about geisha lately. (I learned from the book that plural geisha is still geisha, not geishas like my mind prefers.) As I walked alongside my little buddy Brian, I wondered (not aloud): Who are the modern geisha?
Well, that led my thoughts along several different paths. I guess you could consider "trophy wives" the modern geisha, however the parallels don't totally match. But, then I stumbled upon the exact parallel--the modern geisha...



Dogs.

Yep, dogs. Walking along with my little pal, having people gawk at his precious white face led me to the understanding that Brian is my geisha. You see, he is showered with love and affection simply because he is something nice to look at, and he makes me feel good about myself. Who waits at the door so that he can kiss me and wag his tail when I come in the door? Whom do I shower with gifts and affection? When he and I are out in public and he is by my side, who do people smile at and flirt with?

Why, Brian of course.

No comments: