Saturday, January 19, 2008

Double Feature

When James and I go to the movies, we typically catch a double feature. No, it's not a cinema promo or anything like that--but James figures that if he's already got me at the movie theatre, he may as well force me into another movie! (You see, it's really not my favorite thing to go to the movies. But anyhow, it's getting less and less painful.)

I have a suggestion for a double feature--two movies that we recently saw and loved. The first is the movie Juno. It's about a 16-year-old spunky, smart-mouthed girl who gets pregnant from having first-time experimental sex with her best friend, Bleeker whose only vice is orange tic-tacs. It was charming, and I really enjoyed the small hilarious moments in the film-which contrast the quiet depth of the movie. Also, James and I both loved the music from the movie. It's a little funky, but we downloaded the soundtrack and really enjoyed listening to it.


Another must-see is No Country for Old Men. We had not heard of the movie or seen any previews, but decided to go see it because no other movies really struck our fancy. We figured that it's hard to be let down if you have no expectations of a movie. So, we grabbed some Skittles, an Icee, and some good seats and braced ourselves for a mystery-box film. From the title, I thought it would be about the industrialization of rural areas, and subdivisions taking the place of family-owned farms. I was delightfully wrong. In actuality, it was an adaptation of a book by author Cormac McCarthy (you may recognize the name--his recent book "The Road" was an Oprah Book Club pick). I won't spoil it--but it has everything you can ask for in a movie--tons of heroin, drug money, theft, revenge, murder, self-surgery--what more can you ask for?!

No comments: