Saturday, January 26, 2008

Not a pie person.

Last night, James and I watched a wonderful film called Waitress. It starred Keri Russell as a pregnant waitress, wanting to escape her life (typical story, right?). So, throughout the movie, she makes pies in a way that most people would journal--her pies express her emotions and document what is going on in her life. I hope I explained that well--it's really a great idea.

So, I was thinking about pies last night, and recalled one of my family's classic memories. It took place at the bar in the kitchen of my Poppy and Granny's home, where the majority of our meals there were eaten. Every night, there was some kind of dessert after dinner, the standard being a classic pound cake which was always kept underneath an aluminum cake dome with a plastic handle and the word "CAKE" written on the side. This particular night, however, the dessert of the night was some sort of pie--apple, I think. I didn't particularly want dessert, so I decided to forgo the pie I had been offered. No harm, no foul, right?

A few nights later, I was again offered pie by my Poppy. Before I could unnter a word, my Granny quickly replied, "Bennett, Tristin is not a pie person."

My refusal that fateful night forever secured my destiny of not being a "pie person".

Truth be told, I really don't prefer pies. I like berry pie and key-lime pie, and certain lemon pies... But, beyond that, I guess it's true that I am not a "pie person". Anyhow, anytime that my immediate family has pie, someone reminds the family "Oh, don't give any to Tristin--she's not a pie person. Then we all have a big laugh.

The humor lies in the fact that in the South, you cannot just turn-down a piece of pie. Why on earth would any self-respecting Southerner (which I am not--I am merely the descendant of Southerners with an inherited thirst for sweet tea) refuse a piece of pie?
Lesson learned: Don't refuse food from a Southerner. (Besides, even if you do refuse, you'll often still find a plate placed in front of you and a fork will miraculously find its way into your hand.)

No comments: